PBX = Potential Baby X = Weeny Beany

Thursday 21 February 2008

Weeny Beany

Today we acquired both a new name, and a new grandparent for PBX, both deriving from the same source.

Clark and I had lunch today with C's mum and a friend of hers, who is fighting breast cancer. We had already told C's mum (Princess' Nanny S) about PBX, and given that the friend is someone who we see infrequently, and who has no contact with our social circle - such as it is - that it would be safe to also tell her.

By the end of the lunch, it was decided that - given that she had no grandchildren of her own, nor were any looking to be forthcoming any time soon - that she would be another grandmother for PBX - Nanna K. We believe that a child can never have too many grandparents in its life to a) spoil them and b) babysit, so are perfectly happy with this arrangement.

Nanna K, then proceeded throughout the meal to refer to the children as 1 1/2, and when I said that PBX wasn't really a half yet, its really only about the size of a bean, then she coined the name Weeny Beany. We like it! Its staying. Its cuter and easier to say than PBX.

On a related note, Clark informed me the other day that she didn't like the boys name we had agreed on. Yes, sad but true, we had laboriously picked out names - one of each - for PBX, before it was even conceived. And I mean laboriously. It has been a real challenge. Princess has a unique and original name, and we wanted PBX - or I should now say Weeny Beany - to have something equally unique, but that would stand the test of time and not be too teaseworthy. Clark is now arguing with me as I write, and saying its not that she doesn't like it, she's worried about teasing. BS I say to that! She's already knocked me back once on this name, when we were deciding on a new family surname. Now she's doing it again! It's alright though, I'll get it in as a middle name if its the last thing I do.

We've (no I've) come up with another one that we both like - and so far - agree on, although Clark is proving fickle in her pregnancy to date, and that may change at a moment's notice. The girls name is from Greek mythology, and the boys is from Norse mythology. So reasonably unique, at least not in popular circulation. Neither name appears in the top 1000 most popular names ever according to the Baby Name Wizard NameVoyager. But at the same time not unheard of. I Googled the boys name today and came across references to several people with the name, so it is in use. Also just did the same for the girls name - its in use, but even less common than the boys.

So we're good to go on the names. At this stage...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear you honey. We have names picked out and still argue about them every other month or so. I don't know how people pick a name at the last minute. I had a cousin born last year that went for 2 weeks without a name before they finally settled on something horrendous. It's good to do it now I say! Kudos on Nanny K. Glad to hear you are all doing well! ox

Anonymous said...

Wow. Just read the great news (I'm a little behind here!) CONGRATS!!! Oh my gosh. I am so very very very happy for you both! Good luck with the names!

Anonymous said...

You've been tagged on my latest post. ;)